We have done two succession plantings for winter garden beds. We have two trays of green things (lettuce, arugula, kale, collards, cabbage, mustards), one planted on October 8 and these will soon be ready to be planted out into a bed. The second (same crops) was just planted this Monday, October 31. Directly in a bed we have planted four rows of spinach (two on October 19 and two on October 29) and two rows of beets (one on October 19 and one on October 29). So far not much is happening in those beds. Just three tiny beet sprouts. We tried some compost from an old composter of ours and it contains lots of bits of egg shells. Maybe there is something about it they don't like. Or....who knows.
This first photo is taken of our lower yard garden beds which are in the process of moving up to join the rest of the garden. As I type, Penny is hauling loads of dirt from the one big bed to a newly constructed one. (Let's see, which job would I rather be doing.....blogging or digging?) These beds were built over what we think is the septic field, and we concluded that was an error. Besides which, they get absolutely no sun in the winter so are useless for many months of the year. Soon we will have all our garden condensed on the sunny south side.
We also have planted four large and two small beds in a variety of cover crops for the winter. Two have only fava beans, and I am hopeful they will yield a lovely spring crop to eat. I love favas! The others have a mix called "soil builder" which we have planted many times; there is some other plant that we added into that but I cannot remember its name at the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment