Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial day weekend in our garden - upper garden

I find it impossible to figure out how to put pictures and text together in this blog program!! If I write the text first, the photos don't go into the right place. If I do the photos first, as I am now, I can't make the text go where I want it!! Actually, these poppies are beginning to fill our lower garden, and I wanted to delete the photo and make it part of the next blog, but it won't delete! So here they are!
These are the blooms on our lovely sage plant. I don't think they have an odor, but the whole plant smells so fresh and wonderful. We planted this in the very early days we lived here, and have to cut it back every year.
Volunteer petunias! This pot was planted with several flowers last summer. We thought we had pulled them all out after they were done blooming, and the pot has been thoroughly dug up all winter by the cats. But from somewhere, these survived and offered themselves!
One of our newly planted tomato beds. We planted out 22 of our 40 tomato seedlings, and if we can find some more room we will plant more of them. But we probably can't plant every single one, so if you are local and would like a plant or two let us know. We also put cages on all 22 and watered all our new plantings with a new batch of compost tea. We purchased a system at Sierra Green Days that creates compost tea with an aeration process. Hopefully, it is really good food for these plants.
One of two beds of winter squash that we planted out on Saturday. We have these covered with a material that is called "summer weight." It is very light, lets in sun and water and may keep some pests out. The particular pests we are hoping to keep out are the cats, who see all the beds as giant litter boxes. We also suspect the local raccoons may be routing around in the beds at night.
We have some potatoes planted in bags, like this. These potatoes and the bags came from Gardener's Supply in Vermont. The potatoes themselves (carola, cranberry red, all blue, red cloud, butte, and onaway) are from a farm in Maine owned by the Gerritsen family. We knew their parents at First Congregational Church in San Francisco!
And we have some potatoes, these purchased from our local organic growers, in this bed (desiree, yellow finn, and yukon gold).

So, I will attempt another post on the goings on in the lower garden, but maybe not tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment