Sunday, April 24, 2011

First tomato seedlings sprout!

Today when I went out to the greenhouse to water, I found that the first of the tomato seeds have sprouted! There are four pineapple, three orange king, and 1 or 2 lake tomatoes that have just broken through to the light. It's quite warm in the greenhouse if we keep it closed up (90-100 degrees most days) but sometimes we open it to the air so it cools down. We bring the trays into the house almost every night, although occasionally we forget.

Not much other activity happening at the moment. A lot of yard mowing and whacking by Penny but the beds need us to put some time into them. We're going to create a list of tasks tonight - that will make me feel like we're doing something!

We are eating a ton of aspargus - mostly just steamed or sauteed with basically nothing added. When things are so fresh, that don't need seasoning. When a salad goes on the table straight out of the garden, I only add olive oil, salt, and pepper - and very little of those.

Also good is picking miscellaneous leaves of greens (kale, collards, a variety of mustards) and just tossing them in a pan with some olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper and cooking them lightly until they're just beyond wilted. They're great with any kind of grain.

I think we're doing more eating than gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment