Yesterday I sat down with all the seed packets and a few books to see what would be planted when. And I see that it is getting to be that time when things notch up a gear or two! There are a few things we could be planting right now, like starting some successions of radishes. There are a couple of kinds of onion seeds that look like could be started in the greenhouse and be planted out in a timely matter, if it's not already too late. And, all the seedlings in the greenhouse are just about ready to be transplanted to beds. Which means preparing the beds, which means adding some compost, which means getting another pickup load of Diestel compost, which means finding time to do that.
And then there's April, which is truly just about tomorrow! A large proportion of all the summer garden seeds ought to be started in the greenhouse some time in April! This is when we always seem to fall behind. We may actually think "Oh, it's time to plant these," but then before those seeds get planted, it's May and we are late. My hope is that we won't do that this year. I have a list and I have dates!
And yet, we just tried to find a morning or afternoon to get together with friends - in March OR April - and so far haven't found a date that is open for all four of us. And there are taxes to do and we'll be out of town some of April and...... Does having a large, successful, feeding-us-food type of garden require us to change the way we are living? Do we organize our lives around it rather than fitting it in when we find time? If you're reading this, is this the way it works for you or do you have another experience to share? I'm interested!
So, here's what we should plant some time in April: beets and carrots in the ground, another succession of lettuces -greenhouse, tomatoes - greenhouse, winter and summer squash - greenhouse, New Zealand spinach - in the ground later in the month (this is a warm weather spinach). I'll give a report!
And I should post a couple of photos of our lovely little seedlings before they go outside. Next time.....
No comments:
Post a Comment